Paris Saint-Germain progressed to their first-ever Champions League final after they registered a comfortable 3-0 win over RB Leipzig in Lisbon on Tuesday night.
The French champions were the dominant side through the entire 90 minutes and could have quite easily won by a bigger margin, had they made the best use of their chances.
Three things we learned:
Angel di Maria puts on a show: The Argentine missed the previous round due to suspension, but he made amends with a terrific display against Leipzig. He provided a delightful freekick which contributed to the opening goal scored by Marquinhos goal and he scored the club’s second before the break. Prior to the hour mark, he provided his second assist on the night. The 32-year-old squared a cross for the unmarked Juan Bernat, who found the net with a glancing header. Di Maria will be eyeing his second Champions League title on Saturday.
Neymar shines but struggles to finish: Neymar produced another solid display in the frontline. The Brazilian nearly scored with a stunning 35-yard free-kick in the first half and prior to the interval, he provided a superb backheel assist for Di Maria’s goal. Despite this, it was another frustrating day for him in front of goal. He only managed to hit the woodwork with a clear-cut chance in the opening half. Towards the end of the game, he had a couple of more opportunities where failed to test the goalkeeper. The Brazilian will want to improve his composure in front of goal for the final.
Timo Werner absence: Leipzig parted ways with their most prolific goalscorer of the season in July when he made the move to Chelsea. They managed to beat Atletico Madrid 2-1 in the previous round despite his absence, but felt the pinch against Les Parisiens. The Bundesliga outfit barely threatened the opposition goal with Yussuf Poulsen starting up front and things did not change at the interval when Patrik Schick was brought to play alongside the Denmark international. Werner scored 34 goals for Leipzig in the season and it remains to be seen who the club will sign to replace him this summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- PSG vs Lyon: Ligue 1 Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mauricio Pochettino stays coy on PSG’s interest in Paul Pogba
- Camavinga’s agent comments on growing interest in midfielder’s services
- European Super league fails to get any French representation
- Ligue 1 race to the top will go down to the wire
- Ligue 1’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Neymar could sign new Paris Saint-Germain contract this week
- Mauricio Pochettino talks up summer move for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos
- ‘It looks like the end’: André Villas-Boas expects to leave Marseille in June
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp pressing to sign Kylian Mbappe amid Real Madrid interest