Paris Saint-Germain boss Thomas Tuchel has provided an injury update on Kylian Mbappe and Marco Verratti ahead of the club’s Champions League quarter-final against Atalanta BC on Wednesday night.
Mbappe picked up an ankle sprain during the 1-0 win over Saint-Etienne in the Coupe de France final on July 24, but he has made a good recovery to return to training.
However, the same has not been the case with Verratti. The Italy international sustained a calf problem in practice earlier this month and it is uncertain whether he will play any part for Les Parisiens for the rest of the season.
Speaking in the pre-match press conference, Tuchel revealed that Verratti picked up a fresh knock in training and the club need to remain patient with him.
The German added that Mbappe has been involved with his teammates in training and could be in contention to make the matchday squad to face Atalanta tonight.
“We need to wait and be patient with Marco. He was unable to run last week. He started running again on Monday,” he was quoted as saying by the club’s official website.
“He picked up a knock in training and was extremely unlucky. He can sprint again, it’s good. If Kylian has a good session on Tuesday and everything goes well, he will be in the squad on Wednesday.”
Neymar and Mauro Icardi are likely to have the responsibility to find the net against Atalanta, considering Mbappe may be restricted to a bench role while Angel di Maria is serving a one-game European suspension.
The French champions have flattered to deceive in the pursuit of the Champions League crown over the years and they are yet to win the competition in their long history.
Tuchel has helped Les Parisiens reach their first quarter-final in four seasons. The club are now looking to progress to the last four of the elite competition for the first time since the 1994/95 season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- PSG vs Lyon: Ligue 1 Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mauricio Pochettino stays coy on PSG’s interest in Paul Pogba
- Camavinga’s agent comments on growing interest in midfielder’s services
- European Super league fails to get any French representation
- Ligue 1 race to the top will go down to the wire
- Ligue 1’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Neymar could sign new Paris Saint-Germain contract this week
- Mauricio Pochettino talks up summer move for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos
- ‘It looks like the end’: André Villas-Boas expects to leave Marseille in June
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp pressing to sign Kylian Mbappe amid Real Madrid interest