Paris Saint-Germain boss Thomas Tuchel has provided an injury update on Kylian Mbappe and Marco Verratti ahead of the club’s Champions League quarter-final against Atalanta BC on Wednesday night.
Mbappe picked up an ankle sprain during the 1-0 win over Saint-Etienne in the Coupe de France final on July 24, but he has made a good recovery to return to training.
However, the same has not been the case with Verratti. The Italy international sustained a calf problem in practice earlier this month and it is uncertain whether he will play any part for Les Parisiens for the rest of the season.
Speaking in the pre-match press conference, Tuchel revealed that Verratti picked up a fresh knock in training and the club need to remain patient with him.
The German added that Mbappe has been involved with his teammates in training and could be in contention to make the matchday squad to face Atalanta tonight.
“We need to wait and be patient with Marco. He was unable to run last week. He started running again on Monday,” he was quoted as saying by the club’s official website.
“He picked up a knock in training and was extremely unlucky. He can sprint again, it’s good. If Kylian has a good session on Tuesday and everything goes well, he will be in the squad on Wednesday.”
Neymar and Mauro Icardi are likely to have the responsibility to find the net against Atalanta, considering Mbappe may be restricted to a bench role while Angel di Maria is serving a one-game European suspension.
The French champions have flattered to deceive in the pursuit of the Champions League crown over the years and they are yet to win the competition in their long history.
Tuchel has helped Les Parisiens reach their first quarter-final in four seasons. The club are now looking to progress to the last four of the elite competition for the first time since the 1994/95 season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- France’s fixtures in the international break
- Ligue 1’s 2023 Ballon d’Or nominees
- Manchester City agree €65m fee to sign Rennes winger Jeremy Doku
- Ligue 1 Season Preview 2023/24: PSG set to dominate again
- 2023-24 Ligue 1 season: PSG look to continue dominance by clinching 12th league title
- Mbappe stay ensures Neymar departure this summer
- Saudi Arabia confident about signing PSG star Lionel Messi
- Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Lens – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Rennes – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Paris Saint-Germain vs Bayern Munich Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups