Paris Saint-Germain manager Thomas Tuchel has said that the club need a miracle for Kylian Mbappe to feature in the Champions League quarter-final against Atalanta next month.
The France international suffered an ankle sprain during the first half of the Coupe de France final against Saint-Etienne last week and he was spotted with crutches during the trophy presentation.
Earlier this week, Les Parisiens confirmed that Mbappe would be sidelined for three weeks because of the injury, which would automatically rule him out of the European clash against Atalanta on August 12.
Speaking prior to the Coupe de la Ligue final against Lyon, Tuchel talked about the importance of Mbappe and said that the team need a miracle for the Frenchman to play any part against the Serie A outfit.
He told: “This will have an important influence for us, but I hope that the solution will be found. We still hope [he can play against Atalanta], but the chances will be very, very small. Every day counts to achieve a miracle, but tomorrow we will have to adapt without Kylian.”
Les Parisiens will be aiming for a domestic treble when they take on Les Gones in the last-ever Coupe de la Ligue final on Friday. The French champions are overwhelming favourites for the encounter, but Rudi Garcia’s side will be hoping to beat the odds to win their first major trophy since 2012.
Lyon must win either the French League Cup or Champions League to play European football next season. The club are scheduled to face Juventus on the road in the second leg of their Champions League round of 16 tie on August 7. They are leading by a 1-0 score after the first leg at home.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- France’s chances at the 2022 World Cup
- Marseille vs Lens Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Will PSG finally break their Champions League curse under Galtier?
- PSG v Nantes: Trophee des Champions Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Lyon mean business this summer as prodigal sons return home
- Paris Saint-Germain’s 2022/23 pre-season fixtures & more
- Ligue 1 Transfer News Latest – Lacazette Coming Home
- Rennes vs Marseille Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Paris Saint-Germain Transfer News Update & Marseille Preview
- Ligue 1 2021/2022 Race for Europe