Paris Saint-Germain manager Thomas Tuchel has said that the club need a miracle for Kylian Mbappe to feature in the Champions League quarter-final against Atalanta next month.
The France international suffered an ankle sprain during the first half of the Coupe de France final against Saint-Etienne last week and he was spotted with crutches during the trophy presentation.
Earlier this week, Les Parisiens confirmed that Mbappe would be sidelined for three weeks because of the injury, which would automatically rule him out of the European clash against Atalanta on August 12.
Speaking prior to the Coupe de la Ligue final against Lyon, Tuchel talked about the importance of Mbappe and said that the team need a miracle for the Frenchman to play any part against the Serie A outfit.
He told: “This will have an important influence for us, but I hope that the solution will be found. We still hope [he can play against Atalanta], but the chances will be very, very small. Every day counts to achieve a miracle, but tomorrow we will have to adapt without Kylian.”
Les Parisiens will be aiming for a domestic treble when they take on Les Gones in the last-ever Coupe de la Ligue final on Friday. The French champions are overwhelming favourites for the encounter, but Rudi Garcia’s side will be hoping to beat the odds to win their first major trophy since 2012.
Lyon must win either the French League Cup or Champions League to play European football next season. The club are scheduled to face Juventus on the road in the second leg of their Champions League round of 16 tie on August 7. They are leading by a 1-0 score after the first leg at home.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- PSG vs Lyon: Ligue 1 Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mauricio Pochettino stays coy on PSG’s interest in Paul Pogba
- Camavinga’s agent comments on growing interest in midfielder’s services
- European Super league fails to get any French representation
- Ligue 1 race to the top will go down to the wire
- Ligue 1’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Neymar could sign new Paris Saint-Germain contract this week
- Mauricio Pochettino talks up summer move for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos
- ‘It looks like the end’: André Villas-Boas expects to leave Marseille in June
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp pressing to sign Kylian Mbappe amid Real Madrid interest