Brazil international Thiago Silva has confirmed that he has formally left Paris Saint-Germain with a farewell post on his official Instagram account today.
The centre-back spent eight years with Les Parisiens and during this period, he contributed towards the club’s dominance in French football with a haul of 23 trophies including seven Ligue 1 titles.
The club were unable to replicate the same in Europe, but they came close to winning the Champions League earlier this month, where they were ultimately beaten by Bayern Munich in the final.
Despite his consistent showing, Les Parisiens’ hierarchy were not keen on extending his stay beyond the current campaign and Silva has now officially confirmed that he has parted ways with the side.
“Today a cycle ends, after 8 years within the team of PSG, I would like to thank my teammates, the whole technical team and the management, the fans, my family, God and my friends, for all these happy moments that we have lived in the City of Light,” he wrote on his Instagram account.
Silva has already found his next club in the form of Chelsea. The Premier League giants were in regular contact with the Brazilian earlier this month and according to David Ornstein, he is set to undergo a series of medical tests on Thursday.
Silva is approaching his 36th birthday, but the Blues are said to value his experience in their backline, which leaked 54 goals during the course of the previous league campaign. He is set to sign a one-year contract with the option for another 12 months, which can be triggered by either him or the club.
The Rio de Janeiro-born star will become the Blues’ fifth arrival of the current transfer window after the signings of Hakim Ziyech, Timo Werner, Xavier Mbuyamba, Ben Chilwell. They have already spent more than £130m on new players this summer and the spree is set to continue.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- Ligue 1 Matchday 20: January 9, 2022 – 3 Talking Points
- Paris Saint-Germain Set Sights on Chelsea’s Rising Star Conor Gallagher
- PSG vs Lyon: Ligue 1 Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mauricio Pochettino stays coy on PSG’s interest in Paul Pogba
- Camavinga’s agent comments on growing interest in midfielder’s services
- European Super league fails to get any French representation
- Ligue 1 race to the top will go down to the wire
- Ligue 1’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Neymar could sign new Paris Saint-Germain contract this week
- Mauricio Pochettino talks up summer move for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos