Saudi Arabia are reportedly confident about signing Paris Saint-Germain star Lionel Messi at the end of this season.
The 35-year-old’s current deal is set to expire in June, with the Parisians having an option to extend it by another year.
However, the Ligue 1 giants will not avail that option and he will leave the club as a free agent this summer, per L’Equipe.
The experienced forward has been linked with a return to Barcelona, with manager Xavi Hernandez very keen to sign him.
But the Catalans’ financial problems mean Xavi may not have his wish fulfilled.
According to Marca, Saudi Arabia are increasingly confident of signing Messi this summer.
It is said that the country’s political and sporting figures are highly optimistic the Argentine will soon be playing in their football league.
Former Real Madrid and Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo is already showcasing his skills in the Pro League.
The Portuguese mutually terminated his contract at United to join Al Nassr in January.
Since his arrival in Riyadh, he has made 18 senior appearances with 14 goals to his name.
The Saudi rulers reportedly want to revive the Messi-Ronaldo rivalry in the Asian country.
Recent reports suggested the Argentina international has accepted an offer from Al-Hilal to join them this summer.
The club are said to have offered him a greatly lucrative contract worth over €300 million.
However, the player as well as his father have insisted that no decision will be made on his future until the end of the 2022-23 campaign.
Latest Ligue 1 News
- Ligue 1’s 2023 Ballon d’Or nominees
- Manchester City agree €65m fee to sign Rennes winger Jeremy Doku
- Ligue 1 Season Preview 2023/24: PSG set to dominate again
- 2023-24 Ligue 1 season: PSG look to continue dominance by clinching 12th league title
- Mbappe stay ensures Neymar departure this summer
- Saudi Arabia confident about signing PSG star Lionel Messi
- Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Lens – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Rennes – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Paris Saint-Germain vs Bayern Munich Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Rennes vs Paris Saint-Germain Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups