According to The Telegraph, Rennes have indicated that they won’t consider the sale of goalkeeper Edouard Mendy this summer unless they receive an offer of more than £30m.
The Senegal international joined the Brittany outfit from Reims last year and he managed nine clean sheets from 24 appearances in Ligue 1 as they finished third and qualified for the Champions League for the first time in their history.
The club still need to win two qualifying games in order to reach the competition proper and Rennes appear determined to keep hold of their shot-stopper unless their valuation is met.
Chelsea recently failed with an opening bid worth £15m for the 28-year-old keeper and it is now reported that Rennes want more than twice the figure in order to part ways with Edouard.
Blues boss Frank Lampard is keen on recruiting a new player for the shot-stopping duties next season following an average 2019/2020 campaign for Kepa Arrizabalaga, who was dropped in place of Willy Caballero for a few games.
Arrizabalaga experienced a difficult season campaign with the Blues and he ended the league season with the worst save percentage (54.5) among keepers, who had made more than 10 starts.
The Spaniard has no intention of leaving the club on either a loan or a permanent deal this summer, but Lampard is nonetheless keen on bringing in a player to provide strong competition.
As things stand, the Blues have yet to find a suitable agreement with Rennes and it won’t come as a surprise, if they meet the transfer demands of the French outfit in the coming weeks.
The west London giants have already spent more than £130m on the purchase of five major signings in Hakim Ziyech, Timo Werner, Ben Chilwell, Malang Sarr and Thiago Silva
They are currently on the cusp of landing Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen for an initial £72m fee and it is quite clear that Lampard has the backing from the club’s hierarchy to spend big this summer.
Should Edouard make the switch to Stamford Bridge, L’Equipe claims that Rennes could move for the services of Paris Saint-Germain’s Alphonse Areola, who spent the previous season on loan with Real Madrid.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- Rennes vs Paris Saint-Germain Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups
- Ligue 1 in December 2022: Fixtures & Restart Date
- France’s chances at the 2022 World Cup
- Marseille vs Lens Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Will PSG finally break their Champions League curse under Galtier?
- PSG v Nantes: Trophee des Champions Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Lyon mean business this summer as prodigal sons return home
- Paris Saint-Germain’s 2022/23 pre-season fixtures & more
- Ligue 1 Transfer News Latest – Lacazette Coming Home
- Rennes vs Marseille Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups