Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe has said that he is thinking hard about whether or not to sign a new long-term deal with the French champions.
The 22-year-old joined the Ligue 1 holders from AS Monaco in the summer of 2017, initially on a season-long loan before they were obliged to buy him for a club-record £166m fee.
Over the past three and a half years, Mbappe has been exceptional for Les Parisiens and he has bagged a stunning tally of 106 goals and 59 assists from just 147 appearances across all competitions.
His consistent performances have grabbed the attention of Spanish champions Real Madrid and it has been widely reported that they could attempt to sign him in the summer.
Mbappe’s current deal with Les Parisiens expires in under 18 months’ time and when asked a possible extension, the Frenchman emphasised that he would not sign a new contract unless he is truly committed to the club.
There have been occasions in the past where a player has moved on within 12 months of signing a new long-term contract and Mbappe has insisted that he does not want to leave a similar example.
“I said I am also reflecting because if I sign it is to invest in the long term at Paris Saint-Germain. I am very happy here. I have always been very happy. If I had the answer today, I would give it today,” He told Telefoot via Sky Sports.
“It’s a genuine reflection because, for example, I don’t want to sign a contract and then one year later say I want to leave because I didn’t want to sign the contract. If I sign it is to stay. That’s why it prompts me to think.”
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Real Sociedad – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Ligue 1 exodus to continue in 2024 with Mbappe first of many
- Preview: Lille vs Paris Saint-Germain – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- France’s fixtures in the international break
- Ligue 1’s 2023 Ballon d’Or nominees
- Manchester City agree €65m fee to sign Rennes winger Jeremy Doku
- Ligue 1 Season Preview 2023/24: PSG set to dominate again
- 2023-24 Ligue 1 season: PSG look to continue dominance by clinching 12th league title
- Mbappe stay ensures Neymar departure this summer
- Saudi Arabia confident about signing PSG star Lionel Messi