According to ESPN, Paris Saint-Germain have parted ways with manager Thomas Tuchel and they are likely to announce Mauricio Pochettino as their next head coach.
Tuchel had been Les Parisiens’ manager from the summer of 2018 and he guided them to their first-ever Champions League final last term where they lost 1-0 to Bayern Munich.
The current campaign has been a mixed one for Les Parisiens where they have already suffered four league defeats, but they are still just one point behind Lille for the top position.
Elsewhere, they had a tough Champions League group stage campaign, but managed to progress to the round of 16 with the top spot. They bagged just three points after three games, but picked up momentum thereafter with three wins on the trot.
The club were recently without 10 first-team stars through injury, but they were still able to register a comfortable 4-0 triumph over Strasbourg in Ligue 1 on Wednesday night.
On the back of such a result, the sacking of Tuchel has come as a surprise, but ESPN claims that the ex-Borussia Dortmund boss knew that he would be dismissed earlier last week.
Tuchel obviously had a mixed relationship with sporting director Leonardo and that alongside ‘the lack of playing style’ is understood to have paved the way for his departure.
Pochettino, who was previously the manager of Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur for five-and-a-half seasons, has been touted as the favourite to take control of the Ligue 1 champions.
As per reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano, Les Parisiens’ hierarchy have already made contact with Pochettino and it is only a matter of time before the Argentine returns to the dug-out.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- PSG vs Lyon: Ligue 1 Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mauricio Pochettino stays coy on PSG’s interest in Paul Pogba
- Camavinga’s agent comments on growing interest in midfielder’s services
- European Super league fails to get any French representation
- Ligue 1 race to the top will go down to the wire
- Ligue 1’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Neymar could sign new Paris Saint-Germain contract this week
- Mauricio Pochettino talks up summer move for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos
- ‘It looks like the end’: André Villas-Boas expects to leave Marseille in June
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp pressing to sign Kylian Mbappe amid Real Madrid interest