Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain have opened contract negotiations with French forward Kylian Mbappe, a report from Le 10 Sport claims.
Mbappe has been with Les Parisiens since the summer of 2017 when he joined them from AS Monaco on an initial season-long loan agreement.
Over the past three years, he has developed in one of the world’s best forwards and recently bagged his 100th goal for the club in the 3-1 win at Montpellier.
Owing to his success, there has been plenty of speculation regarding his future and he has been quite often linked with Real Madrid, who have been fancied to go on a spending spree next summer.
Mbappe currently has less than 19 months remaining on his contract with Les Parisiens and Le 10 Sport claims that the club’s hierarchy have already initiated talks with the player over a possible renewal.
Sporting director Leonardo has made good progress in the discussions with the World Cup winner and the club are optimistic of committing the 21-year-old to a fresh long-term contract.
Mbappe has previously revealed that Zinedine Zidane was his first idol growing up. While a move to the Bernabeu remains a lucrative option, the youngster would no doubt be tempted to work under the tutelage of Zidane.
However, there are no assurances that Zidane would remain at the helm by next summer, particularly with how things are going for Los Blancos over the past few months.
The Spanish champions recently went winless for three league games on the bounce and that was followed by a second shock Champions League loss to Shakhtar Donetsk.
They must pick up points against Borussia Monchengladbach in the final group stage game or else, they could suffer a shock elimination. There is the instance where they could finish bottom of the table.
In such a case, Zidane could be on the cusp of dismissal. Les Parisiens will be hoping that they can sort Mbappe’s future in the near future and avoid the tricky situation of the forward entering the final year of his contract next summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- Ligue 1’s 2023 Ballon d’Or nominees
- Manchester City agree €65m fee to sign Rennes winger Jeremy Doku
- Ligue 1 Season Preview 2023/24: PSG set to dominate again
- 2023-24 Ligue 1 season: PSG look to continue dominance by clinching 12th league title
- Mbappe stay ensures Neymar departure this summer
- Saudi Arabia confident about signing PSG star Lionel Messi
- Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Lens – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Rennes – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Paris Saint-Germain vs Bayern Munich Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Rennes vs Paris Saint-Germain Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups