In an interview with PSG Le Mag, Brazil international Neymar has officially confirmed that he will be staying with Paris Saint-Germain for the 2020/21 season.
The 28-year-old experienced another injury-plagued season with Les Parisiens, but he still contributed an impressive tally of 19 goals and 12 assists from just 27 appearances.
Barcelona have been regularly linked with a potential move to re-sign Neymar, but earlier this month, president Josep Bartomeu acknowledged that a deal is unlikely with the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
As such, it was always inevitable that Neymar would continue with the French champions and he has now formally confirmed the same while speaking to the club’s official magazine.
He told: “I am staying at PSG next season!. And with the ambition to return to the Champions’ League final, this time to win it. I like this idea of doing everything to leave my name in the history books of my club.”
Under Thomas Tuchel, Les Parisiens won another domestic treble last term and they also excelled in the Champions League, where they made it to their maiden final.
However, they could not pass the final hurdle against Bayern Munich as they were beaten 1-0. Former graduate Kingsley Coman scored the winning goal for the German champions before the hour mark.
Les Parisiens may have fallen short of the Champions League title, but they showed plenty of character to make it to the final, having failed to progress beyond the round of 16 stage in the previous three seasons.
With Neymar and Kylian Mbappe in their ranks, they will definitely be regarded as one of the favourites to win the European crown for the 2020/21 campaign.
Due to their Champions League participation, Les Parisiens have yet to begin their new Ligue 1 season. Nice are currently at the top of the table with the perfect tally of six points from two matches.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- PSG vs Lyon: Ligue 1 Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mauricio Pochettino stays coy on PSG’s interest in Paul Pogba
- Camavinga’s agent comments on growing interest in midfielder’s services
- European Super league fails to get any French representation
- Ligue 1 race to the top will go down to the wire
- Ligue 1’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Neymar could sign new Paris Saint-Germain contract this week
- Mauricio Pochettino talks up summer move for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos
- ‘It looks like the end’: André Villas-Boas expects to leave Marseille in June
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp pressing to sign Kylian Mbappe amid Real Madrid interest