Paris Saint-Germain duo Neymar and Kylian Mbappe have been picked in the top 10 for the prestigious UEFA Men’s Player of the Year accolade, the football association announced on their official website.
Neymar had another season hampered by injuries with Les Parisiens, but he managed to play a key role in the knockout stage of the Champions League unlike the previous two campaigns.
The Brazil international helped Les Parisiens win another domestic treble and finished with three goals and four assists from seven outings in Europe as the club reached their first-ever Champions League final.
Both Neymar and Mbappe could not make a mark in the final against Bayern Munich, but the former has still garnered 53 votes for the UEFA Men’s Player of the Year award to be tied with Barcelona’s Lionel Messi.
Meanwhile, Mbappe finished in the seventh spot after his stunning 30-goal season. Five of those goals from the 2018 World Cup winner came in the Champions League campaign.
Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich), Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City) and Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich) have made the top three for the prestigious honour and the winner will be announced during the 2020/21 Champions League draw ceremony in Nyon on October 1.
Lewandowski should be the favourite to pick up the award after bagging a staggering 55 goals from just 47 appearances. That included 15 goals from just 10 Champions League outings. The Poland international scored for nine consecutive games before drawing blank in the final.
Meanwhile, Bayern Munich’s Hansi Flick and Liverpool’s Jurgen Klopp and RB Leipzig’s Julian Nagelsmann have been shortlisted for the Manager of the Year award for the 2019/2020 season.
Klopp could have the advantage over his managerial counterparts after guiding the Reds to their maiden Premier League title in 30 years. The Merseyside giants won the league in record fashion with seven games to play.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- Rennes vs Paris Saint-Germain Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups
- Ligue 1 in December 2022: Fixtures & Restart Date
- France’s chances at the 2022 World Cup
- Marseille vs Lens Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Will PSG finally break their Champions League curse under Galtier?
- PSG v Nantes: Trophee des Champions Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Lyon mean business this summer as prodigal sons return home
- Paris Saint-Germain’s 2022/23 pre-season fixtures & more
- Ligue 1 Transfer News Latest – Lacazette Coming Home
- Rennes vs Marseille Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups