Nice director of football Julien Fournier has confirmed that Everton midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin has passed a medical with the club and a formal announcement over a transfer could be made on Monday.
The 30-year-old has struggled to command regular playing time over the past couple of years for the Toffees and he now appears set to return to the French Ligue 1, where he began his career with Strasbourg.
“He should sign on Monday. He has passed his medical. We are waiting for Everton’s signature.” Fournier told the French media, as relayed by Sky Sports News.
The French top-flight season was curtailed after 28 games in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic in April and Nice were able to finish fifth on the table ahead of Reims on the head-to-head record.
While other top European leagues have resumed their respective 2019/2020 campaigns after an extended break, teams in Ligue 1 are currently in their pre-season preparations for next term.
Schneiderlin will be expected to join the south coast outfit as soon as the transfer is sanctioned by the Toffees and he could start off with individual training with the LFP yet to permit regular first-team sessions.
Meanwhile, LFP have recently opposed the motion for a 22-team Ligue 1 season after the French national court suspended the relegation of Amiens and Toulouse earlier this month.
A format decision is expected to be announced on Tuesday, but Amiens president Bernard Joannin has insisted that the club will opt for ‘a legal process‘, suppose changes are not made to accommodate them in the top-flight.
As things stand, the 2020/21 Ligue 1 season is set to resume on August 23.
Latest Ligue 1 News
- PSG vs Lyon: Ligue 1 Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mauricio Pochettino stays coy on PSG’s interest in Paul Pogba
- Camavinga’s agent comments on growing interest in midfielder’s services
- European Super league fails to get any French representation
- Ligue 1 race to the top will go down to the wire
- Ligue 1’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Neymar could sign new Paris Saint-Germain contract this week
- Mauricio Pochettino talks up summer move for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos
- ‘It looks like the end’: André Villas-Boas expects to leave Marseille in June
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp pressing to sign Kylian Mbappe amid Real Madrid interest