Lyon forward Memphis Depay has acknowledged that he could consider a fresh challenge away from the club when the transfer window reopens at the turn of the year.
The Netherlands international had agreed to personal terms with Barcelona regarding a summer transfer window, but the deal failed to go through before the deadline on October 5.
Depay recently revealed that ‘certain rules‘ prevented him from joining the Catalan giants, and he has now talked up the possibility of leaving Les Gones during the winter transfer window.
Speaking to Dutch newspaper AD, the former Manchester United man said that he will assess his options at the start of 2021, but insisted that it is not definite that he will head through the exit door in January.
“We’ll see what happens. We’ll be in January soon. We’ll have to wait and see how things go,” he told the Dutch outlet prior to Netherlands’ Nations League clash against Bosnia & Herzegovina.
“It’s not that I’m definitely leaving, but there will probably be clubs [after me] soon. I’m 26 and almost a free agent, so you can expect clubs to be interested, right?”
Depay has been Lyon’s leading player over the past three-and-a-half years and he has accumulated 58 goals and 43 assists from 144 appearances across all competitions.
His current deal expires at the end of June next year and he has shown no desire to prolong his stay. Hence, Les Gones are likely to sell him in January rather than lose him for nothing in eight months’ time.
The Blaugrana could not sanction his transfer this summer due to budget concerns, but Les Gones president Jean-Michel Aulas has recently tipped the Dutchman to push through a move to the Camp Nou in January.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Real Sociedad – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Ligue 1 exodus to continue in 2024 with Mbappe first of many
- Preview: Lille vs Paris Saint-Germain – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- France’s fixtures in the international break
- Ligue 1’s 2023 Ballon d’Or nominees
- Manchester City agree €65m fee to sign Rennes winger Jeremy Doku
- Ligue 1 Season Preview 2023/24: PSG set to dominate again
- 2023-24 Ligue 1 season: PSG look to continue dominance by clinching 12th league title
- Mbappe stay ensures Neymar departure this summer
- Saudi Arabia confident about signing PSG star Lionel Messi