Lyon forward Memphis Depay has acknowledged that he could consider a fresh challenge away from the club when the transfer window reopens at the turn of the year.
The Netherlands international had agreed to personal terms with Barcelona regarding a summer transfer window, but the deal failed to go through before the deadline on October 5.
Depay recently revealed that ‘certain rules‘ prevented him from joining the Catalan giants, and he has now talked up the possibility of leaving Les Gones during the winter transfer window.
Speaking to Dutch newspaper AD, the former Manchester United man said that he will assess his options at the start of 2021, but insisted that it is not definite that he will head through the exit door in January.
“We’ll see what happens. We’ll be in January soon. We’ll have to wait and see how things go,” he told the Dutch outlet prior to Netherlands’ Nations League clash against Bosnia & Herzegovina.
“It’s not that I’m definitely leaving, but there will probably be clubs [after me] soon. I’m 26 and almost a free agent, so you can expect clubs to be interested, right?”
Depay has been Lyon’s leading player over the past three-and-a-half years and he has accumulated 58 goals and 43 assists from 144 appearances across all competitions.
His current deal expires at the end of June next year and he has shown no desire to prolong his stay. Hence, Les Gones are likely to sell him in January rather than lose him for nothing in eight months’ time.
The Blaugrana could not sanction his transfer this summer due to budget concerns, but Les Gones president Jean-Michel Aulas has recently tipped the Dutchman to push through a move to the Camp Nou in January.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- PSG vs Lyon: Ligue 1 Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mauricio Pochettino stays coy on PSG’s interest in Paul Pogba
- Camavinga’s agent comments on growing interest in midfielder’s services
- European Super league fails to get any French representation
- Ligue 1 race to the top will go down to the wire
- Ligue 1’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Neymar could sign new Paris Saint-Germain contract this week
- Mauricio Pochettino talks up summer move for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos
- ‘It looks like the end’: André Villas-Boas expects to leave Marseille in June
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp pressing to sign Kylian Mbappe amid Real Madrid interest