Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has said that Memphis Depay is disappointed having missed out on the move to Barcelona before Monday’s transfer deadline.
The Netherlands international had already agreed to personal terms with the Catalan giants, as revealed by sporting director Juninho, but the Blaugrana pulled the plug on the deal due to financial contraints.
The Spanish giants had parted ways with the likes of Ivan Rakitic, Arturo Vidal, Luis Suarez and Nelson Semedo over the past month, but it appears that they were still budget issues which hampered Depay’s move to Camp Nou.
Speaking in today’s press conference, Aulas revealed that Memphis was disappointed with the Blaugrana’s failure to sign him, but believes the forward will push to join them at the turn of the year, he told: “Since the beginning I have been clear with Memphis.
“I spoke with president Bartomeu at Barcelona twice, he told me he couldn’t see how things could happen. I know that Koeman made him continue to hope and that Memphis was ready to make sacrifices.
“Today, he is disappointed, but not towards Lyon, more towards Barcelona. He is going to do everything he can to find himself in a position where he moves there in January.”
Memphis currently has less than nine months remaining on his Lyon contract and the club are likely to sanction his departure during the winter transfer window, considering he has no plans to extend his stay.
Rudi Garcia’s side have made unfruitful start to their Ligue 1 season and they have accumulated only seven points from the opening six games. That sees them in the 14th spot and already six points adrift of the Champions League places.
Memphis appears likely to leave the club at some point of time next year, but they will be aiming to make the most of his services during the first half of the current season.
The Dutchman is their leading scorer this term with four goals from six games. However, three of those came during the opening matchday where Les Gones registered a 4-1 comeback win over Dijon.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- Mauricio Pochettino stays coy on PSG’s interest in Paul Pogba
- Camavinga’s agent comments on growing interest in midfielder’s services
- European Super league fails to get any French representation
- Ligue 1 race to the top will go down to the wire
- Ligue 1’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Neymar could sign new Paris Saint-Germain contract this week
- Mauricio Pochettino talks up summer move for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos
- ‘It looks like the end’: André Villas-Boas expects to leave Marseille in June
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp pressing to sign Kylian Mbappe amid Real Madrid interest
- Angel di Maria likely to continue in Europe, has no plans of returning to Rosario