In an exclusive interview with The Mail, Lille president Gerard Lopez has confirmed that the club have received multiple offers for first-choice striker Victor Osimhen.
The Nigeria international joined the French outfit from Wolfsburg in August last year shortly after they sanctioned the sale of Nicolas Pepe to Arsenal in a deal worth £72m.
He has proved a quality signing for them with 18 goals and six assists from 38 appearances but won’t feature anymore this season after the Ligue 1 campaign was cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.
In recent weeks, there has been much speculation whether Osimhen could pursue a bigger challenge elsewhere and Lopez has confirmed that there is interest from multiple clubs from three different leagues.
“There is a wide array [this summer] and I wouldn’t want to give the names of the clubs who are bidding but what I can tell you is that there are multiple [offers]. There are three championships that have clubs that have bid for him,” He told.
A number of teams in the French top-flight are experiencing financial losses with the abrupt end to the league campaign and there have been suggestions that some players could leave their respective sides on cut-price deals.
However, Lopez has clearly mentioned that Les Dogues won’t be compelled to sell Osimhen for a knockdown price and added that they could command a similar transfer fee to that of Pepe to part ways with the centre-forward.
At the age of 21, Osimhen has been able to lead the line effectively for Les Dogues and he has particularly caught the eye with his finishing and ability to win aerial duels on most occasions.
His distribution remains pretty average with a pass success of only 61 percent in the league, but he has made up for the same with an average of at least three shots per game.
It remains to be seen whether one of Europe’s elite clubs are prepared to meet Lille’s £72m valuation for the striker, who was previously part of Nigeria’s Under-17 World Cup-winning side in 2015
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Whoscored.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- PSG vs Lyon: Ligue 1 Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mauricio Pochettino stays coy on PSG’s interest in Paul Pogba
- Camavinga’s agent comments on growing interest in midfielder’s services
- European Super league fails to get any French representation
- Ligue 1 race to the top will go down to the wire
- Ligue 1’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Neymar could sign new Paris Saint-Germain contract this week
- Mauricio Pochettino talks up summer move for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos
- ‘It looks like the end’: André Villas-Boas expects to leave Marseille in June
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp pressing to sign Kylian Mbappe amid Real Madrid interest