The agent of Lille defender Gabriel Magalhaes has confirmed that both Everton and Napoli have made offers to sign the Brazilian during this summer’s transfer window.
The 22-year-old is regarded as one of Ligue 1’s most-promising central defenders and his performances over the past 18 months have caught the eye of several European clubs.
Carlo Ancelotti’s Everton have been linked with his services since the beginning of the year but they are not alone in the pursuit of the centre-back, who began his career with Brazilian second tier club Avai.
Speaking exclusively to Area Napoli, representative Fernando Garcia confirmed that the Toffees have already made a transfer proposal, but they face competition from Napoli, who have made an offer of their own.
With the Ligue 1 season already cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic, Garcia added that a decision over the player’s future could be made by Lille in a few days’ time.
“Everton made a proposal to Lille at first, while Napoli made it later. We are waiting for Lille to let us know if they intend to continue [with Gabriel]. [The decision could come] in a few days, but in reality, I can’t say when exactly,” He told.
Lille were just one point behind Rennes in the pursuit of the final Champions League spot when the season was suspended in March due to the coronavirus threat.
The league’s governing body thereafter curtailed the season in April after the French prime minister Edouard Philippe announced a ban of sporting events until September.
The premature end to the season has contributed to losses for a number of top-tier clubs and Lille could be tempted to sanction the sale of Gabriel this summer in order to ease their financial situation.
Gabriel has made 30 appearances for Lille in the Ligue 1 and Champions League combined. With more than three years remaining on his contract, Lille are in a good position to command a reasonable fee.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- PSG vs Lyon: Ligue 1 Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mauricio Pochettino stays coy on PSG’s interest in Paul Pogba
- Camavinga’s agent comments on growing interest in midfielder’s services
- European Super league fails to get any French representation
- Ligue 1 race to the top will go down to the wire
- Ligue 1’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Neymar could sign new Paris Saint-Germain contract this week
- Mauricio Pochettino talks up summer move for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos
- ‘It looks like the end’: André Villas-Boas expects to leave Marseille in June
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp pressing to sign Kylian Mbappe amid Real Madrid interest