Premier League side Arsenal have received a potential transfer blow with Lyon midfielder Houssem Aouar understood to favour a summer move to either Barcelona or Real Madrid, ESPN reports.
The Frenchman was one of the Gunners top targets during last summer’s transfer window, but they could not afford him as their €35m bid fell short of Les Gones’ €60m price tag.
The north London club have continued to be linked with the playmaker, but ESPN claims that Aouar may prefer a move to either Barcelona or Real Madrid ahead of the Premier League outfit.
Aouar is still open to the prospect of joining the Gunners, but he is looking forward to see whether Barcelona or Real Madrid make an attempt to sign him, having extensively scouted him over the past year.
The 22-year-old has registered three goals and three assists from 16 appearances for Les Gones this term. The club have no ambition to sell him this month as they are in the hunt for the Ligue 1 title.
Les Gones recently suffered their first defeat after 16 league games and that saw them surrender the top position. They are still only two points behind leaders Paris Saint-Germain in the pursuit of their first league title since the 2007/08 season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- PSG vs Lyon: Ligue 1 Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mauricio Pochettino stays coy on PSG’s interest in Paul Pogba
- Camavinga’s agent comments on growing interest in midfielder’s services
- European Super league fails to get any French representation
- Ligue 1 race to the top will go down to the wire
- Ligue 1’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Neymar could sign new Paris Saint-Germain contract this week
- Mauricio Pochettino talks up summer move for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos
- ‘It looks like the end’: André Villas-Boas expects to leave Marseille in June
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp pressing to sign Kylian Mbappe amid Real Madrid interest