Premier League side Arsenal have received a potential transfer blow with Lyon midfielder Houssem Aouar understood to favour a summer move to either Barcelona or Real Madrid, ESPN reports.
The Frenchman was one of the Gunners top targets during last summer’s transfer window, but they could not afford him as their €35m bid fell short of Les Gones’ €60m price tag.
The north London club have continued to be linked with the playmaker, but ESPN claims that Aouar may prefer a move to either Barcelona or Real Madrid ahead of the Premier League outfit.
Aouar is still open to the prospect of joining the Gunners, but he is looking forward to see whether Barcelona or Real Madrid make an attempt to sign him, having extensively scouted him over the past year.
The 22-year-old has registered three goals and three assists from 16 appearances for Les Gones this term. The club have no ambition to sell him this month as they are in the hunt for the Ligue 1 title.
Les Gones recently suffered their first defeat after 16 league games and that saw them surrender the top position. They are still only two points behind leaders Paris Saint-Germain in the pursuit of their first league title since the 2007/08 season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Real Sociedad – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Ligue 1 exodus to continue in 2024 with Mbappe first of many
- Preview: Lille vs Paris Saint-Germain – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- France’s fixtures in the international break
- Ligue 1’s 2023 Ballon d’Or nominees
- Manchester City agree €65m fee to sign Rennes winger Jeremy Doku
- Ligue 1 Season Preview 2023/24: PSG set to dominate again
- 2023-24 Ligue 1 season: PSG look to continue dominance by clinching 12th league title
- Mbappe stay ensures Neymar departure this summer
- Saudi Arabia confident about signing PSG star Lionel Messi