AS Monaco have confirmed the appointment of Niko Kovac as their new head coach on a three-year contract with the option for a possible extension.
“AS Monaco are pleased to announce the arrival of Niko Kovac as head coach. The Croatian has signed on a 3 year contract with an option to extend,” a statement on the club’s official website read.
The Croatian, who was previously with Bayern Munich, has taken over the hot seat from Robert Moreno, who was dismissed from the managerial role shortly after Monaco’s 2-0 win over Cercle Brugge in a pre-season friendly.
The Principality outfit have been unable to compete against Ligue 1’s best over the past two seasons and they finished a lowly ninth during the 2019/2020 campaign which was curtailed after 28 games because of the coronavirus outbreak.
Monaco have already started their preparations ahead of the new league season and Kovac has around a month’s time before the club’s opening clash against Reims at home.
One of Monaco’s prime concerns last term was their poor defensive record and they conceded the joint-fourth most goals (44) during the course of the league season.
That is something which the club will have to improve upon, if they are to make the push for the European places and most particularly, for the top three positions which offer a route to the Champions League.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Real Sociedad – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Ligue 1 exodus to continue in 2024 with Mbappe first of many
- Preview: Lille vs Paris Saint-Germain – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- France’s fixtures in the international break
- Ligue 1’s 2023 Ballon d’Or nominees
- Manchester City agree €65m fee to sign Rennes winger Jeremy Doku
- Ligue 1 Season Preview 2023/24: PSG set to dominate again
- 2023-24 Ligue 1 season: PSG look to continue dominance by clinching 12th league title
- Mbappe stay ensures Neymar departure this summer
- Saudi Arabia confident about signing PSG star Lionel Messi