The draw for the 2020/21 UEFA Champions League group stage was held in Geneva, Switzerland earlier today. Paris Saint-Germain, who were the runners-up to Bayern Munich last season, have been drawn in the most exciting group alongside Manchester United, RB Leipzig and Istanbul Basaksehir.
Les Parisiens have recent history of playing both Leipzig and United. Thomas Tuchel’s side got the better of Leipzig by a 3-0 scoreline in the semi-final last term. However, they won’t have the fondest of memories of facing the Red Devils after they were beaten on away goals (3-3 on aggregate) during the round of 16 stage of the 2018/19 campaign.
Group H, where Les Parisiens have been drawn, can be considered as the Group of Death. Meanwhile, Marseille, who are returning to the competition proper for the first time in seven years, have been pitted alongside Porto, Manchester City and Olympiacos.
Manchester City will definitely be the favourites to finish at the top of the standings. Marseille have a good chance of getting out of their group, if they can play to the best of their ability. Elsewhere, Rennes are making their competition debut from Group E.
The Brittany-based outfit have been drawn alongside Europa League holders Sevilla, Chelsea and Krasnodar, who are also making their Champions League group stage bow. Sevilla and Chelsea are definitely the front-runners for the top-two positions, but Julien Stephan’s side will be hoping to make a strong impression.
Groups and Opponents for the Ligue 1 teams:
Group C: Porto, Manchester City, Olympiacos, Marseille
Group E: Sevilla, Chelsea, Krasnodar, Rennes
Group H: Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester United, RB Leipzig, Istanbul Basaksehir
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Ligue 1 News
- PSG vs Lyon: Ligue 1 Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mauricio Pochettino stays coy on PSG’s interest in Paul Pogba
- Camavinga’s agent comments on growing interest in midfielder’s services
- European Super league fails to get any French representation
- Ligue 1 race to the top will go down to the wire
- Ligue 1’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Neymar could sign new Paris Saint-Germain contract this week
- Mauricio Pochettino talks up summer move for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos
- ‘It looks like the end’: André Villas-Boas expects to leave Marseille in June
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp pressing to sign Kylian Mbappe amid Real Madrid interest